In 1927 American LaFrance discontinued production of Brockway and Model T Ford fire apparatus. These low-budget, commercial chassis fire engines for small towns and villages, industrial and institutional fire brigades were immediately replaced by the all-new Type 99 built on a special GMC truck chassis purchased from General Motors.
The Type 99 pumpers and combination hose cars were powered by Buick 6-cylinder engines. Later, more powerful variations equipped with GMC truck engines were designated Types 199, 299 and 399. Type 97 (1928) had two chemical tanks.