1929, autumn, the Alfa Romeo company enters into an agreement with the German Bussing and Deutz companies about the licensed production of heavy trucks and engines for them. In 1931, the first truck Alfa Romeo – the Model 50 “Biscione”, a licensed copy of the German truck Bussing-NAG 50, came out from the factory’s doors in Portello, near Milan. It was a two-axle 5-ton truck with a 6-cylinder diesel engine of 10,600 cc (Model F6M217) with 80 hp at 1200 rpm.
It had a wheelbase of 5200 mm, a length of about 8950 mm and width of 2450 mm. Transmission was manual 4-speed. Alfa Romeo 50 “Biscione” could move at a maximum speed of only 33 km/h. The angular design of the cabin and hood was completely identical to the German truck. Later in the production was launched a tri-axle 6-ton model “80” with the 11,560 cc engine, which developed 110 hp. According to archival documents, totally 115 trucks of the model “50” and 29 truck of the model “80” were built.
Successor: Alfa Romeo 85 / 110