Rally Raid Dakar – Stage 8. The king is back!
Yesterday the race came back from Chile to Argentina. It was a long stage, and the distance of special stages was 508 km. Vladimir Chagin regained his crown as the King in Copiapo.
The seven times winner of the event, probably irritated by the double victory of Ales Loprais, put in the sort of perfect performance for which only he has the secret behind the wheel of his Kamaz. At the finishing line, he beat Kabirov by 32 minutes and now leads his countryman by 3’03” in the general standings, whilst Loprais finds himself half an hour behind. In fact, the Kamaz team leader was the quickest vehicle in the race, excluding the 4 Race Touaregs. He also took 4 minutes less than Marc Coma, winner on a KTM which, at 170 kg, is a featherweight compared to Chagin’s truck! Overall results:
- 1st – Chagin / Savostin / Shaysultanov, Kamaz №500, 32:42:00, 00:00:00.
- 2rd – Kabirov / Belyaev / Mokeev, Kamaz №502, 32:45:27, 00:03:27.
- 3rd – Loprais / Holan / Kalina, Tatra №504, 33:11:26, 00:29:36.
- 4th – Nikolaev / Mizyukaev / Rybakov, Kamaz №512, 34:34:28, 01:52:28.
- 5th – Echter / Ruf / Klein, MAN №507, 36:11:52, 03:29:52.
Bike leader is Marc Coma (KTM) and the car leader is Nasser Saleh Al-Attiyah (Volkswagen).